I like to think that exercise and yoga separate. I know that this would surprise a lot of people, as most think that yoga is exercise. I don't agree with that thinking. I believe one needs some high intensity interval training into their weekly routine. I feel yoga is a great stretch and strengthening technique but I also feel there is more to exercise. I also like to mix it up a bit. I don’t feel there is only one way to stay fit and it is nice to work different muscles or just work them differently. I find it to be a great balance.
The hard part for me, with yoga, is the meditation. I stay moving and on the go so often. When I am in yoga class I am even working hard. When it comes time to meditate, I have a hard time clearing my head. When I do, I get so relaxed that I have fallen asleep (don’t tell my instructors that) and the meditation doesn’t happen. I know as I continue, I will get better with it. It is just a challenge I have with it now.
Even though I know that yoga is working my body, I kept going back because I know that it is also working on my mind. Some would say that the state of the body reflects the state of the mind. I've found in my life that as I've worked on releasing tension in my body, my mind has become more flexible. And while being able to put my hands on the ground in Standing Forward Bend would be nice and all, having a flexible mind is much more important and helpful in my daily life.
I am glad to include yoga as part of my weekly routine and work outs. And I am ready to embrace the relaxation piece of the puzzle my life is in need of.
No comments:
Post a Comment