I was recently introduced to anther British comedy, Little Brittan. I enjoy the cleverness of it. The cast is two men who play a variety of different characters. The difference between this and Monty Python is the detail in make-up, wigs and costumes. I did not realize at first they were the same two guys dressed differently. They clearly did some character studies. They play some people I swear I have met at the DMV, the administration office at a business or just people on the street. I think that may be the base to what makes it funny to me. They aren’t some crazy skit with weird things happening to people. No one is randomly being attacked by a tiger or has a two ton weight dropped on them. I found characters the walk into a shop and ask for but item and no matter what the shop keeper shows them it isn’t right. They might change the description or make it really obscure and specific. I am sure I have been behind this person at the paint department in Home Depot. I also enjoyed the fact they moved the setting to the states and changed the gist, jokes and settings to fit American humor. The show only ran a few seasons, and that is too bad. It was a very clever creative team. I keep my ear open in case they put something else together.
I guess my taste in comedy has changed over the years. It is nice to be open to enjoying wit from other cultures.
No comments:
Post a Comment